Ex-governor of Ukraine's Cherkasy region declared internationally wanted
The new Ukrainian authorities have placed the former head of the Cherkasy regional administration, Serhiy Tulub, on the international most wanted list, a spokesman for the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office has confirmed.
The measure was taken by the Interior Ministry, he said.
Cherkasy's online news service Procherk reported earlier, citing the acting director of the Cherkasy region's Department for the Fight against Organized Crime, Serhiy Denysenko, that Tulub had been declared international wanted, and this issue "was currently being handled by Interpol."
Denysenko also said that at the moment Tulub was obviously outside of Ukraine. The former official flew from Donetsk to Istanbul on February 23, and, according to the State Border Guard Service, has not returned to Ukraine since then, he added.
The Cherkasy region's prosecutor, for his part, said that Tulub is suspected of misappropriating very large amounts of state-owned funds.
Tulub stepped down as Cherkasy region governor on February 25. The following day a local court permitted Tulub's detention in order to ensure his presence at a court hearing, during which a measure of restraint in the form of a custodial term should be imposed on him.