Ukrainian army retakes over half of Ilovaisk, fighting continues – National Guard
The Donbas territorial defense battalion press service reported last night the battalion had quit the fight for Ilovaisk. The National Guard said in the morning the fighting continued and the army had taken control of a half of that town.
"We officially announce that Donbas battalion servicemen continue to accomplish their mission towards the liberation of the town of Ilovaisk in the Donetsk region," says a report posted on the National Guard Web site on Wednesday morning.
The servicemen have liberated over a half of Ilovaisk, the report said.
A report published on the Donbas battalion's Facebook page early on Wednesday morning said four servicemen had died and "the number of the wounded had yet to be updated."
The report said battalion commander Semen Semenchenko wounded on Tuesday morning had undergone a successful surgery. "His treatment will take about two weeks," the press service said.
Kyiv said earlier that the Donbas battalion had taken control of the Ilovaisk center. The Ukrainian interior minister reported the army had lost one serviceman killed and four wounded in an attempt to seize Ilovaisk. One of the wounded was the commander of the Donbas battalion attached to the National Guard.
The militants confirmed that Ukrainian servicemen had reached Ilovaisk suburbs.