Ukrainian armed forces ready to act appropriately in Luhansk sector ATO – Poltorak
Ukrainian armed forces are ready to act appropriately if the situation in the Luhansk sector of the Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) worsens, Ukrainian Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak has said.
"Ukraine's armed forces in the Luhansk sector are ready to act if the situation worsens. We will act appropriately," he told journalists in Kyiv on Wednesday.
Poltorak said "one criminal organization is replacing another," referring to the situation. He added that during a meeting on November 21, 2017 with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko the readiness of Ukraine's armed forces was discussed.
Earlier on November 21, the press service of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine reported that its representatives had recorded the presence of military-type vehicles and armed men in Luhansk, as well as and a convoy of military style trucks, armored personnel carriers and civilian cars with armed men, which probably moved from separate districts of Donetsk region in the direction of Luhansk.
"Today in Luhansk city the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission observed the presence of military-type vehicles and armed men in the area around the building previously housing the Department of the Ministry of Interior of Ukraine in Luhansk region," the OSCE SMM reported on its Facebook page.
In addition, the press service reported that an SMM patrol observed a convoy of vehicles consisting of at least six military style trucks, two APCs, a mounted ZU-23 and over 20 civilian cars without registration plates with at least 50 armed men on the road near Debaltseve (Donetsk region).