Poltorak: 10,000-12,000 persons to be enough for military service if mobilization appears inevitable
Ukraine in perspective could refuse of mobilization due to a considerable growing of the number of volunteers willing to serve under a contract, Defense Minister of Ukraine Stepan Poltorak.
"A decision to raise money provision for the servicemen gives us optimism and as time goes by we'll refuse of the mobilization at all, if there are not active military actions. That's why if earlier we recruited 200-300 volunteers, than just 9,000 persons have been enrolled in the armed forces within a month since we got [increased] military payments. Seven thousand persons already have been conscripted," Poltorak said at a briefing on Saturday.
Poltorak also reported that due to a raise of a number of volunteers if a decision about the next wave of mobilization is taken, a recruitment plan will be essentially less than previously.
"If 45,000 of a personal staff is demobilized during the scheduled wave in March-April, than now if there is a long of mobilization, this number could be 10,000-12,000, so several-fold than it was before. This is due to a right decision to up a cash benefit," the minister said.