Ukraine gathers evidence for ICC claim on Putin's, Shoigu's statements on Crimea – Petrenko
Ukraine has gathered evidence to file a second lawsuit with the International Criminal Court (ICC) regarding the statements made by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu on Crimea, Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko has said.
"[We fulfilled] the orders given directly to the Justice Ministry regarding passing on the evidence we have collected on both Crimea and the east [of Ukraine] as part of the cases of the European Court of Human Rights to the Prosecutor General's Office of Ukraine [PGO]. In addition, [we] examined what citizen Putin and citizen Shoigu said in the movie on Crimea's annexation which broadcasted in Russia. We have gathered these materials and we're passing them on to the PGO, as this is the agency that will communicate with the international prosecutors of the court," Petrenko said at a briefing in Kyiv on Wednesday.
He specified that he had been talking about the ICC in The Hague.
Petrenko said that in February 2015, the Verkhovna Rada adopted a resolution on filing a lawsuit with the ICC on the crimes that had been committed by Russian officials, troops, and persons supported by Russia in eastern Ukraine and Crimea.
Petrenko added that the first lawsuit was "on crimes committed by [former president Viktor] Yanukovych and his team."
According to him, it was filed in 2014 and international prosecutors have already got in touch with the PGO.