Kyiv proposes another round of tripartite consultations on FTA with EU in December - Poroshenko

Ukraine has proposed another round of tripartite consultations on the EU-Ukraine free trade area (FTA) in December of this year, Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko has said.
"I want to emphasize that with my consent, we proposed holding yet another consultation before the end of the year," the Ukrainian president said at a press conference after the talks with Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite in Vilnius on Wednesday.
He once again stressed that the FTA between the EU and Ukraine poses no threat to the Russia, and Kyiv agreed to discuss Russia's concerns during the tripartite consultations.
"The arguments that Russia uses for imposing sanctions were demonstrated very well and very effectively when it was imposing sanctions on Turkey. They immediately found phyto-sanitary and other problems that allegedly exist. However, in fact this decision is absolutely political," Poroshenko said.
Since 2013, Russia's sanctions and embargoes against Ukraine have been in effect, Poroshenko said. "These sanctions have resulted in cutting trade between Russia and Ukraine by three quarters, and the volume we are talking about now is measured not by billions or tens of billions but by hundreds of millions of dollars," he said.
No matter what, a free trade area between Ukraine and the EU will take effect on January 1, 2016, he said.
It was reported earlier that Ukraine, the EU, and Russia held consultations in Brussels on December 1 to discuss the commercial section of the Ukrainian-EU association agreement.
On December 1, Brussels hosted the Ukraine-EU-Russia consultations with respect to the economic part of the association agreement.