Ukraine Border Service says it has redeployed its Luhansk detachment to safer place
The Ukrainian State Border Service has redeployed the personnel of the Luhansk border guard detachment to another location.
"We have redeployed the Luhansk border guard detachment," the Border Service told Interfax on Wednesday.
The service did not specify how this was managed, as this border guard detachment had been besieged by the armed units of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic for more than two days.
"In light of the situation that has taken shape following lengthy attacks by numerous groups of well-armed fighters and impossibility of performing administrative functions from permanent deployment stations, the command of the Luhansk detachment and the Stanychno-Luhanske border service unit have been redeployed to safer places to perform their duties organizing the safeguard of the state border," the State Border Service reported later.
However, the leadership of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic did not confirm this information.
"Nobody has been redeployed anywhere," the republic's press service told Interfax on Wednesday.
It was reported earlier that unidentified armed people had attacked the headquarters of the Luhansk border guard detachment early on June 2, wounding 8 border guards, four of whom are in serious condition.
Preliminary reports indicate that about 10 attackers were killed and dozens others injured.