St. Pete metro blast committed not by suicide bomber, IED most likely planted in car
The nature of the damage in the railcar in the St. Petersburg metro, where an explosion occurred on Monday, indicates that the explosive device had been left on the train before it was departing the Sennaya Ploshchad station towards the Tekhnologichesky Institut station, a source familiar with the situation told Interfax.
"According to preliminary data, the explosion in the St. Petersburg metro system was committed not by a suicide bomber; the explosive device had most likely been left behind in the railcar before the train's departure," the source said.
Investigators are currently giving priority to the extremist or nationalistic trace theory behind the blast, he said.
Advertising
Advertising
MORE ABOUT
Ukrainian consul in St. Petersburg instructed to leave Russia
16:17, 17.04.2021
Deputy Foreign Minister Yenin: Kyiv working on response to Moscow due to provocation against Ukraine's consul in St. Petersburg
12:20, 17.04.2021
Foreign Ministry calls detention of Ukrainian consul in St. Petersburg provocation, to respond to it in near future
11:55, 17.04.2021
Ukrainian diplomat detained while acquiring secret information in St. Petersburg - FSB
11:21, 17.04.2021
St. Petersburg firm to invest 600 mln rubles in synthetic diamond production
10:20, 05.12.2019
LATEST
AFU General Staff: Defense Forces adhere to terms of 'energy truce,' strike solely at military targets of occupiers
21:10, 03.04.2025
Sybiha thanks South Korean FM for $100 mln in aid to Ukraine
21:07, 03.04.2025
Zelenskyy hears military's report on progress of Kursk operation
20:49, 03.04.2025
SBU reports in absentia suspicion of seizure of Zaporizhia NPP to three Russian generals, their accomplices
20:47, 03.04.2025
Sybiha at NATO will talk about pressure on Russia to force it to start real dialogue, about security guarantees