The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) has called for the soonest demining of the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) zone in southeastern Ukraine.
Mines pose a great danger to the civilian population, especially children, and this is a mounting concern of the OSCE SMM, Deputy Chief Monitor Alexander Hug said at a press briefing in Kyiv on Thursday, nothing that demining works had already begun in some places.
Mission members saw Uragan shells struck in the ground in the town of Peredilske controlled by the Ukrainian authorities, he said. Hug expressed regret that such things had been seen many times. People of eastern Ukraine should live in a safer environment, and every dud shell and mine should be found and neutralized, he said.
The mission is interacting with the Joint Center for Control and Coordination in order to reduce the risk to repairmen amongst others, Hug said.
Advertising
Advertising
MORE ABOUT
Enemy's offensive simultaneously going on in four directions, fiercest battles in Bakhmut, Maryinka and Avdiyivka – Maliar
20:32, 10.04.2023
There will be nothing alive in Donbas after war – Zelenskyy at Munich conference
16:11, 17.02.2023
Invaders deliberately, methodically destroy villages, towns in Donbas – Zelensky
20:44, 27.01.2023
Tough battle for Donbas continues – Zelensky
13:22, 14.01.2023
Zelensky calls 'severe and painful' situation in Donbas
09:21, 27.12.2022
LATEST
Zelenskyy stresses importance of visit to Kyiv of Chiefs of Staff of France and Great Britain
16:55, 05.04.2025
Poroshenko: Ukraine needs national unity in power, competent and professional negotiating delegation
16:40, 05.04.2025
Yermak-McFaul Group develops 3 comprehensive Action Plans, 18 separate recommendations in three years
16:07, 05.04.2025
Zelenskyy: It is important that Russian strike on people in Kryvy Rih doesn't remain without world reaction
15:43, 05.04.2025
Commanders-in-Chief of Armed Forces of France and UK discuss security guarantees, strengthening Ukrainian army in Kyiv