Ukraine's Foreign Ministry hopes for international support regarding Kochneva's release from Syrian captivity
The Foreign Ministry of Ukraine hopes for international support regarding the release of journalists Anchar Kochneva, who was abdicated by the Syrian rebels.
"Today we're working not just directly with those who've identified themselves as responsible for her abduction, but with serious international organizations. We were promised definite support, and we expect that this support will be provided," Deputy Foreign Minister of Ukraine Viktor Maiko said during the hotline of the Cabinet of Ministers on Friday answering mother of the abducted journalist.
According to him, work is being done at all levels, not only by diplomatic departments, but also by the special services - and not just those of Ukraine.
The mother of Kochneva, in turn, asked for the case not to be forgotten. "I want her to stay alive. It's been four months," she said.
It was reported earlier that Kochneva had been abducted in Syria in October 2012 by Free Syrian Army insurgents. They threatened to kill her unless a $50 million ransom was paid.
In January 2013, the rebels told the hostage's relatives that they were ready to cut the ransom to $300,000.
On January 31, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Leonid Kozhara told reporters that he had given a formal request from Kyiv for EU assistance in the release of Ukrainian hostages in Libya and journalist Kochneva. He said that this request had been passed at a meeting with EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton.