Investigators fail to identify organizers of 2015 terror act near Rada, sentencing of 2 suspects expected in autumn
Sentencing of two persons accused of throwing hand grenades near the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on August 31, 2015 is expected in October or November this year, according to parliament deputy Anton Gerashchenko (People's Front Party faction), who said investigators have so far failed to identify the individuals who organized the terror attack.
"There are two criminal investigations: the first involves throwing the grenade that killed four members of Ukraine's National Guard and wounded more than 100 guardsmen, police and civilians. There are two suspects in this case, which is being heard by Kyiv's Shevchenkivsky District Court. Hearings are held regularly and we expect a verdict in October or November this year," Gerashchenko said in Kyiv on Thursday.
According to the deputy, one of the suspects threw the grenade and the second suspect shielded him from view.
"Unfortunately, investigators were not able to figure out who instructed these two individuals, who refused to confess," he said.
Gerashchenko said the second criminal case involves more than ten persons, who that day near parliament organized street protests and attacked police. He said the case involves several former MPs from the Svoboda Part led by Oleh Tianhybok. He added that investigators concluded that the grenade attack was not involved in the grenade attack.
Information regarding the August 31 events has been filed with the Unified Register of Pretrial Investigations as qualified under the Ukrainian Criminal Code Article 348 (an attempt on the life of a law enforcement official, a member of a social group for protecting public order or the state border, or a military serviceperson), Article 345 Part 3 (a threat or violence against a law enforcement official), Article 293 (violation of the public order by a group), Article 294 Part 2 (mass unrest) and Article 258 Part 3 (an act of terrorism), the Prosecutor General's Office said.
Police arrested 18 persons involved in the unrest near the Rada on August 31, 2015.