Some 20 people hurt in gas explosion in central Chisinau
A gas explosion shook a building in central Chisinau on Saturday afternoon.
The press officer for the Moldovan Interior Ministry's Emergency Situations Service told Interfax the explosion was allegedly caused by careless handing of a gas container.
The source said the explosion took place in a building close to the central market. The blast caused panic, including on the central market. The nearby shots were evacuated.
"Four specialized vehicles and some ten ambulances were used for dealing with the aftermath of the blast. Some twenty people are now hospitalized, and four of them are in serious condition," the source said.
The source said the cause of the blast is now being determined, but the most likely cause is careless handing of a gas containing in a public catering establishment.